- Is Zero Up a dropshipping course?
- Does Zero Up help scale your business?
- Are there alternatives to Zero Up?
- How much does Zero Up cost?
- Is the Zero Up Software Suite any good?
- How does Zero Up compare with other Shopify Dropshipping courses?
For the answers to these questions and more, read on!
Zero Up Course Overview
Introduction to Fred
One might be forgiven for calling him a serial entrepreneur. Fred seems to come up with a new business idea which spawns a course or book or software, just about every year.
Nothing wrong with that, just look at Richard Branson and the Virgin brand.
Fred was the youngest Marketing Manager for the BMW Group Canada ever. He quickly rose through the marketing ranks, from a dishwasher to where he is today - the CEO of several multi-million dollar businesses. He is a business mentor to thousands and enjoys a healthy following on social media.
Fred has also received the following awards as a marketer and entrepreneur (according to his FB Page):
- INC 5000 Award
- Startup 50 Award
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award - Business Excellence Awards Canada
- Canadian Business Excellence Awards for Private Businesses
- Best Selling Author of the Book: The Traffic Trilogy
- Google Adwords Certified
- Clickbank's Top Client
But wait! Before we start. Here's the fine print:
This is a genuine unbiased and unaffiliated review.
What does that mean?
It means that I am in no way or form affiliated with Fred Lam, or his course Zero Up.
I.e. I am not paid to give glowing reviews of ANY of the courses I review.
What to Expect in this Course
Right! Down to the nuts and bolts.
Zero Up is a dropshipping course with a twist.
It not only offers you an introduction into the world of dropshipping, but it also offers you exclusive software to help you set up, and optimize your Shopify Store.
The official Zero Up site sums it up perfectly: "...A powerful, all-in-one ecommerce software suit to build, grow & scale your online store."
Zero Up is thus not a dropshipping course as such, but rather a platform from which to manage your online store.
- Lightning fast store creation
- A product engine with millions of products at your fingertips - customize your search criteria
- 100% Order Fulfillment Automation - automatic order placement and tracking
- Advanced Email Integration for retargeting campaigns
- Use text, coupon, image, or video to attract customers with offers so that they can stay in your sales funnel
- Drag & Drop Funnel Builder
The Zero Up Course Breakdown
The Zero Up modules are:
- Module 1 - Store Creation
- Module 2 - Inventory Arbitrage
- Module 3 - Turbocharging Your Store
- Module 4 - Creating A Sales Funnel
- Module 5 - Advertising Your Store
- Module 6 - Store Management
- Module 7 - Traffic Genius
- Module 8 - Zero Up Jewels
- Module 9 - Weekly Bootcamp
- Module 10 - Bonus Trainings
Module 1 - Store Creation
Also covered in this module of Zero Up:
Module 2 - Inventory Arbitrage
- increase perceived value.
- How to approach different pricing strategies, and
- he discusses the importance of good product descriptions.
The module also contains 100 pre-vetted "Top-selling" product documents that you can refer to and use on your Shopify Store.
Although a nice touch, everyone who does this course will want to sell those same 100 products...
Unlike eCom Success Academy and eCom Elites Fred doesn't really show you how to find your OWN products...
Module 3 - Turbocharging Your Store
Fred suggest you Turbocharge your store with the use of apps that allow everything from creating coupons and social proof to automated email marketing.
He gives some nifty hints on how to create sales funnels and which software/apps to use.
Be warned though:
- The apps that Fred prefers, are EXPENSIVE. (The most expensive of which is the product of a buddy of his..) They add up to about $160 per month...
- He doesn't warn you that you have to create a SIZABLE email list first, before email marketing is a viable option.
- It's difficult to build up an email list and it takes TIME (and effort)
Most of the apps he suggests you use though, are quality apps that have been tried and tested and will definitely help boost your sales - that's if you can afford them....
eCom Hacks for example, also offer a lot of different apps to use, but at more competitive prices...
Module 4 - Creating A Sales Funnel
Fred not only offers some sound advice on when to start/create a sales funnel, but he also introduces you to more features of the Zero Up software.
- The Funnel Builder - a super easy way to create and implement a sales funnel. The only other dropship course to offer you a D4U sales funnel is Shopify Ninja Masterclass. So that's a point in Zero Up's favor.
- The Profit Multiplier - it allows you to create 4 different types of professional looking pop-ups
These are VERY handy tools to have and if you bought the course, you'd be silly not to use them.
Module 5 - Advertising Your Store
This module of Zero Up, starts with an introduction to Facebook and how you can best utilize it to market and sell your products.
This is one of the strongest modules in Fred's course, simply because it covers so much content.
When you work through this module, you will learn just about everything you need to learn about Facebook Advertising, from creating different Types of Ads, to the FB Pixel and Scaling your Ads.
Fred even shows you a formula to use when Scaling your Ads. Great advice!
The FB Ads Modules in eCom Elites by Franklin Hatchett, is probably the only other course that offers so much detail about advertising your store on Facebook, so Fred did a great job here.
Module 6 - Store Management
Module 6 of Zero Up is a mixture of hit-and-miss.
- Fred teaches you how to get into a DAILY routine
- He covers some customer issues you might encounter AND how to deal with them
- He also talks about credit card chargebacks and how to appeal them
- interpret data that you get from Google Analytics and your Shopify Store
- set up, nor how to implement automated marketing emails
- how to do your own split testing.
- nor does Fred offer much in the form of scaling your store management through the use of Virtual Assistants. This is an aspect that was covered in nearly EVERY other dropship course...
Module 7 - Traffic Genius
This is a great addition to the course! No other dropshipping course even bothered mentioning Bing. Despite having only 4.98% of the global search engine traffic, that still amounts to 60 million people... And there are other compelling reasons to consider advertising on Bing as well.
Fred walks you through the Bing Ads setup and shows you how to create and launch ads. This is a great inclusion in the course!
I actually went out and did some of my own Bing research. You might also be surprised by some of the Bing stats...
Fred offers some great advice and ways to tweak your Google Ads campaign.
But, in my opinion he does however make some fatal errors as well - one of them is NOT advertising for Mobile. In 2020, you honestly cannot afford NOT to tap into almost 50% of your browser market...
I found some interesting mobile usage stats here.
Apart from that, most of the info Fred shares on Google AdWords, is solid advice, BUT nothing new. Which is a worry, since it's no longer Google AdWords... Quite a bit has changed since the introduction of Google Ads...
I still haven't received feedback from Zero Ups support team, on whether there is an update for Google Ads or not...
Module 8 - Zero Up Jewels
Module 9 - Weekly Bootcamp
Fred hosts a weekly "Bootcamp" session with Zero Up members, where he gives them additional tips and they get to ask him questions via email.
Sometimes Fred even takes the time to offer constructive criticism on a student's website or advertisement campaign and suggests how they can improve.
This is a great insert for his students and a great way for Fred to interact with them.
However, if you did not ask a question or advice from Fred, the videos do tend to be long winded... (Cue the Neverending Story theme music...)
Module 10 - Bonus Trainings
Once again, another dropshipping guru tries to pass off a bonus section with very little material worthy of the "bonus" title.
- email marketing and
- managing influencers
Theory is great if you are actually taught how to also implement it. That did not happen here...
Is Zero Up a worthwhile course?
You have to weigh it up yourself. Think of it this way - Fred wants you to use his software (that comes "mostly" free with the course), and then you are also expected to add a slew of monthly paid-for apps in order to automate as much as possible.
According to his methods and advice, you'll have to fork out about $170 per month for your apps. And then you still have to add your course "investment" as well.
Zero Up cost $748.50 in 2019. The price has now doubled to $1,497 without any indication that there has been an update to the course. It seems that Fred added some bonus modules and that's it.
So, do you get value for money?
The course content itself is a bit thin, but you do get access to the Zero Up software suite with a whole range of useful tools.
However, all the tools in the Zero Up software can be found in the Shopify App Store as well. And for a lot less, NOT the suggested apps at $170 per month. With a bit of homework, you can find specific apps that suit your type of store or niche for half the price (if not more), than what Fred suggested.
You can browse to your heart's content, read up on reviews, do your own research and I bet you'll find the right app for you. (Since there are 533 of them, you might just find a free app that does the job...)
So is it worth getting this course then?
Although Fred hits a home run here and there (such as the Bing Ads module, which is awesome BTW), he does strike out a lot. Especially where content is concerned.
All the other dropshipping courses I have reviewed, have lots more content AND practical examples of how to implement the theory.
In short, this course is a very basic introduction to dropshipping, that focuses mainly on automation. It leans more towards showing you how to use Fred's software and other add-on apps, rather than showing you how to manually run your store and get a feel for this business.
It's all good and well to use technology to help run you business as efficiently as possible, BUT you need to remember that:
- it is IMPOSSIBLE to completely automate your dropshipping business.
- Fred himself, pointed out that you will need a DAILY routine in order to make a success of this business (and even then it's tough)
- I'm not convinced that Fred's apps are the best on the market - simply because of the pricing, and reviews that I have seen... (You can do your own research here and judge for yourself).
Back to my initial question then: Is Zero Up a worthwhile course?
Zero Up Review Conclusion
Fred Lam's Zero Up, certainly has some plus points as a dropshipping course.
He offers great advice on Bing Ads, Facebook Advertising bidding strategy, and email marketing AND you get his Zero Up software bundled with the course as well.
- Simplicity - the tools/apps are super easy to use, even for beginner dropshippers with very little computer know-how, and they offer
- Convenience - many of the essential tools for successful dropshipping are now situated in one place
- Synergy - many of the tools work together to save you time and hassle
- all the tools that Fred offers in the Zero Up software, can be found in the Shopify App Store (and it won't cost you an arm and a leg)
- apps in the App Store have been tried and tested by hundreds (if not thousands) of users.
- you get to CHOOSE which features you want, and ultimately which apps / tools you're going to use
- the course content is VERY basic overall, which is probably why the Zero Up website actually refers to Zero Up as software and not a course. But still - you can't blindly go into a business model. You need to know how the machine works, not just that it works...
- For dropshipping software alone though, Zero Up is a bit expensive...
- Fred is a serial entrepreneur. From a student's point of view, this might be a little concerning as Fred tends to be involved in a LOT of projects at any given time. So, although his support staff might be good, you always want to be able to reach out to the course creator personally. I think Fred might be spread a little too thin, which wouldn't leave him much time to personally get in touch with you as a student.
- The course content doesn't cover Google Ads as yet. And yes, the basic elements of Google AdWords are still there and you'd be able to get by with the info given, but Google Ads offers more in terms of tools. If a course covers Google Ads, I want it to be up to date and I want to know the ins and outs of it...
What I like about Zero Up:
What I didn't like about Zero Up:
Dropshipping... Still viable in 2020?
It's probably difficult for you to answer that question. It all depends on your experience of, and with dropshipping.
If you're an experienced dropshipper (like me), you will know how increasingly difficult it is to make dropshipping a successful venture.
If you want to know more about my
So yes, that proves you can make money from dropshipping.
But the question you should
The answer is, no...
My top online business suggestion for 2020?
I've basically tried EVERY single online business model there is. I made a few bucks on some. I lost a few bucks on others.
None of them are consistently successful though, except for ONE...
I've been doing local lead generation since 2014, and it consistently brings in a monthly recurring income. Yes, I'm talking about that magical business term: PASSIVE INCOME...
If you've never heard of lead gen, maybe this will help:
And the great thing is, you get to help other businesses grow.
Because if they grow and become more successful, so do you.
It's a perfect symbiosis, and that is rare in business. You get to help others expand and become more successful, and as a reward, you get to grow, expand and become more successful as well.
And that's why it works!
I haven't touched it for months and I still earn $2000 per month from my happy client.
Now that's a winning business model!